New Year's Eve GlamNeutrals with a Pop of Color and lots of Shine[clockwise from top]COVERGIRL Bombshell Volume by Lashblast MascaraCOVERGIRL
Outlast Lipstain in Eternal Flame
for a Pop of Color
+ Lipslicks Smoochies Sizzle Gloss in Date Night
for added ShineFaux Leather Pleated Skirt
- Nordstrom RackMaroon Suede Shoes for a Pop of Color -
Nordstrom RackGold Sparkle Tipped NailsGold Tone Cecile Fossil WatchGold Crystal Pave Link Bracelet [petite version of J. Crew's Pave Link] - Yuni KelleyBlack and Cream Striped Sweater with Gold and Sparkle Accents - Banana Republic OutletCrystal Necklaces - J. CrewCrystal Earrings - Express
There's one week left to shop and everyone has that one girl on their list that they don't know what to buy for them.. you know, the girl who constantly answers, "I don't know" every time you ask her what she wants. Sadly, I think I may be that person for my friends and family! If I want something throughout the year, I either work a few extra hours and save up for it or I convince myself that I don't need it - so by the time Christmas rolls around, it either doesn't exist anymore or I already have it stockpiled in the gifts my husband doesn't know he's getting me.
Here are a few things that "that girl" probably convinced herself she didn't need but might like to have, broken down by category! And when in doubt, a Target gift card is always a winner.
// Comfy Cozy //[from Left to Right]Kate Spade Candles
- Kate Spade New York
Love the color combos and encouraging memos Sherpa Robe in Beige - AnthropologieQuite possibly the softest robe. Ever.
Wish I'd taken it home with me!Faux Fur Hot Water Bottle - World MarketSold individually in stores
, in sets online. One for them and one for you?Sueded-Sherpa Moccasins
- Old NavyMy mom may or may not have these under the tree for me. Love slipper moccasins!Gold Stained Mugs - SHOP by Monika
I was able to get the Lip Stain before they sold out, but the Drip is super cute too!Fleece-Lined Leggings - TargetThese are THE BEST for winter!
// Tech Essentials //Baggu Gold-Dipped iPad Case - West ElmMonogramming available!Portable iPhone Charger* - Available on eBay, Amazon, and some J. Crew OutletsClearly I am old school with the iPhone 4
, but I'm always low on battery!SoundBender* - SoundBenderIf you've seen Sharktank, you know what's up!
Perfect for watching shows on the iPad.iPhone Cases - The Everygirl and Rifle Paper Co.Girly and durable. I love my RPC cover!
Top ChefAvocado Slicer - OXO for Williams SonomaMy husband and I live in California and still can't cut an avocado correctly.Bellezza Holiday Reindeer Dinnerware
- VietriAs featured in this Waiting on Martha Blog Post
- how could you not fall in love?Recipe Tin - Rifle Paper Co.The Citrus Floral Tin reminds me of my Mammaw and great-grandma's home cookin'!Gold Flatware - West ElmFor those fun brunches and fancy dinner parties!iPad Under Cabinet Mount - Belkin
With very little counter space in our apartment, I usually keep the recipe in another room and run back and forth. There are many versions of this, but this is the only non-permanent one! Dotted Linen Napkin Set
- AnthropologieiSpoon Kitchen Stylus - Umbra for CB2"Saves Your Touchscreen from Messy Fingers" - perfect when using a recipe on your iPad!Silicone Steamer
- OXO for TargetMarketed for steaming veggies, but I use this with pasta too to drain in the pot!
- Try to steer away from clothes unless you know her specific style and size
- Stick with neutral colored items [creams, beige, greys, blacks, whites, golds, and blush] - whether for clothes or decor these are sure to match or blend in with a majority of what she has already.
- If you can't find something in-store you know they want, check Google, Amazon and eBay, it's bound to be out there somewhere! Just try to buy NWT [new with tags!]
- Gift receipts! Don't buy anything that can't be returned unless you're 100% sure about it!
- *All items marked with an asterisk above are also great stocking stuffer ideas!
- Happy Shopping!
Probably the easiest DIY ever with pretty results!
Choose pinecones with minimal damage! My mother-in-law and I collected these from around North Lake Tahoe but I'm sure you can find some in your own back yard or local park! What I wish I had done: I wanted all of the huge, full-bodied pinecones - now I wish I had chosen some more variety in shapes, sizes, and height!
I used the same gold metallic spray I used in my last DIY
- I also used white for "snow"! I wanted the pinecones to look like snow-covered trees so I sprayed primarily from the top with a few spritzes down diagonally, making sure that the top was the heaviest.
I created 3 different colors: white, gold, and a mixture! For the mixture I started with white, then sprayed gold, then dusted white on top again. Really happy with how they turned out!:
I used mine to complete my Winter Wonderland Forest scene [as seen in my previous Winter Decor
post]. Now I just need a few LED tea lights to intermix and light it up a bit more! The extras found a spot by the snowman my mom got me last year for Christmas:
Another fun idea would be to add glitter to them - but I'm pretty sure my husband has banned glitter from our house! Happy DIY-ing!
Keeping in theme with the "Favorite Things" giveaway
[ps. have you entered yet?!] - these are a few of my favorite Winter/Christmas decorations!
that is a Gold Sequin Hanger Ornament! Perfect gift for the fashion lover!Gold Sequin Hanger Ornament - Pearl's and PastriesGerman Glitter Alphabet Ornament - Pottery Barn
[On sale now! If you can't find your letter online, I recommend going to your local PB!]Golden Elephant Ornament - World Market [2 for $5!! Not sold online.]
Trees. Lots of Trees.Create your own Winter Wonderland Forrest!
I created ours in our non-functioning fire place using a white bath mat and trees. This was very last-minute but I plan to use a larger white base in the future and adding a few small LED candles in between to light it up a bit more!Mercury Glass Trees - Home Goods
[many places are selling these but Home Goods has the best prices! Plus one of the ones I got lights up!]Burlap Trees - TargetPine Cone "Trees" - DIY tutorial here!
The Cutest Little Gnome You Ever Did SeeCurrently, he's just sitting there watching over the dining area, but we have big plans for him, which I'll share later this week!The Little Helper's Container - Waiting On Martha
This weekend I watched NBC's production of The Sound of Music. In honor of NBC airing the LIVE version starring Carrie Underwood, I've compiled a list of a few of my favorite things AND along with it, will be doing my first giveaway! Also, if you want a review [from a Julie Andrews' Sound of Music fanatic], see my thoughts below on the Thursday night televised performance.
These Are a Few of My Favorite Things..
1. Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte
- it's my
version of Christmas in a Cup. The best part is that it's available year-round AND you can order it as a frap during the hot summer months. I also just found out they sell liters of the syrup for you to put in your own coffee at home.. uhm, yum.2. COVERGIRL® Clump Crusher - Seriously, no clumps, and super light making it the perfect everyday mascara.
Skinny Cow Cookies 'n Dough - Available in your local grocery freezer section. The entire line features low calorie/low fat options making the dessert the perfect ending to any meal.4.
Pretty Pens - I love writing with cute pens like these, picked up in the Target $1 Spot!5. High Heels Mystery Series
- I love reading a good mystery especially when coupled with humor and fashion. I am on book 6 now, trying to take my time in hopes of another book being released before I finish book 7!6.
Post-It Notes - I would never get anything done without them. I picked up these cute sticky reminders at the Target $1 Spot with my pens!7. White and Gold Colossians Print
from SS Print Shop
- every print is fantastic, but I especially love seeing this reminder on my nightstand every night before bed and every morning when I wake up.8.
Baby Mama - If you're ever in need of a good laugh. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.9.
Crystal Necklaces - The perfect embellishment to almost any outfit; they even make a simple t-shirt look fancy! I got mine from J. Crew Factory
online but can not find them on the website now - check your local factory outlet!10.
Down Comforters - I never want to get out of bed! They are an investment but definitely worth it! We worked with a registry agent at Macy's
to help us pick the best one for our needs [I wanted a lot of fluff and my husband did not want extra heat] - there are so many options! Pair with down pillows and a Pottery Barn
Duvet for the ultimate cozy experience!GIVEAWAY: WIN a few of my favorite things! To enter you must:1. Comment on this post with 3 of your favorite things
and your email address.2. Be a follower of BehindtheMaskRDH on Instagram3.
Like and comment on the corresponding Instagram picture and tag a friend!Winner Announced 1 week from today, Monday, December 16.
My thoughts on last Thursday night's LIVE Televised The Sound of Music
with Carrie Underwood:
- First of all, Julie Andrews ruined it for everyone. No high school, college, Broadway, drama group, drama club, etc. will ever be able to do her version justice. That said, they simply cannot be compared. So stop being silly and be nice. They DID NOT "ruin a classic."
- Many people complained that this NBC version changed so many things about the movie and created new songs, when in reality, it was the 1965 film that took liberties with the original 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein script. The NBC version stuck closely to the Broadway play.
- I love Carrie Underwood, but I had seen her act in the Soul Surfer movie and was not impressed so I knew not to expect much in the way of acting. I feel like I "knew" Carrie beforehand in that, I didn't like seeing her act immature and, well, like a dumb blonde. Whereas The Sound of Music was my first introduction to Julie Andrews so seeing her act naive didn't bother me. As for Carrie's singing - not bad. She has an awesome voice, but you could tell she was getting winded at some points [like when she was walking backwards up the stairs with the VonTrapp kids] which brings me to my next point..
- Why was it LIVE?! And furthermore, why on earth are they going to try to sell the "Live" version on DVD? Live on Broadway is one thing, but Live on TV and DVD is another. So much more can be done with TV and Movies that would have provided a much better viewing experience and could edit out things like Carrie almost tripping down the set in her first scene and losing her breath after walking backwards up the steps. There would also be better scenery, which with today's technology, I am surprised at how terrible the backdrops were. I think the 1965 movie had better backdrops than this version. Also, Carrie would not have had to wear a wig. Just sayin'.
- All in all, not horrible. While I would purchase some songs off the sound track [Audra was amazing], I would not watch it again. If you missed it, I still recommend watching it, just make sure you're doing something at the same time.. like paying bills, folding laundry, doing homework, ironing, etc. so it's not a complete waste of three hours! If you're in the mood to just relax and snuggle up to a good movie, pop in the Julie Andrews version.
"So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.."